Personal Injury First Steps
Each accident and each injury is different.
The following are general guidelines to follow in the event of an accident resulting in a serious injury.
- First and foremost, stay calm and seek proper medical attention.
- Call 911 immediately and let the dispatcher know exactly where you are and what has happened.
- Do not move an injured person unless not moving him/her poses a greater risk to that person, for instance if there is an imminent danger of fire or an explosion at the scene of the accident.
- If there is danger of fire or an explosion, immediately get to a safe place.
Once the health and safety of those involved is secured, take the following steps in order to support your position in any legal claim you may pursue related to any injury.
- Get the names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Write down the details of what happened while these are fresh in your mind.
- Keep notes of conversations with anyone involved in the accident.
- Take photographs to show the injury and possibly indicate who caused the injury.
- In the event of an automobile accident, contact your insurance company and provide all facts about the accident, as well as information regarding the individuals involved and the contact information for any witnesses.
- Do not admit fault. Fault cannot be determined until the accident site is properly assessed by the police or by an accident specialist.
- Keep or obtain copies of all medical records.
- List any expenses incurred, such as hospital visits, medical bills, etc.
- Keep a record of lost work or wages.
- If you’ve been injured by a defective product, preserve the product along with any instructions, warnings and receipts.
Seek expert legal advice as soon as possible after an injury or accident. Call ACA Law so that our experienced personal injury attorneys can determine what issues need to be addressed immediately, steer you away from any situations that could jeopardize your claim and build a case for maximum compensation.
- Don’t waive your legal rights. Do not provide statements to an insurance company or sign any insurance company documents until you have spoken to an ACA Law Personal Injury lawyer.
- Notify the person you may file a suit against of your intention to file a claim for your injuries and/or damages.
- File your claim in a timely manner. There are statutes of limitations that establish time limits for bringing suit to recover for your injuries.
- Don’t talk about your case with others.
Receive the best settlement possible. Contact our expert team of personal injury attorneys today for a FREE case review. We will guide you every step of the way, ensure that your rights are protected and fight to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
Do you have a Personal Injury, Workers Compensation or Social Security Disability case?
Contact our offices today for a free consultation
If you are suffering because of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, contact a Personal Injury attorney at ACA Law today for a FREE case evaluation. We will review your case, answer your questions and advise you how best to protect your rights. Our Personal Injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, there are no legal fees until a financial settlement or verdict has been secured for you.
Get the help you need.
Click here to schedule a free consultation.